We were supposed to go strawberry picking last Sunday but the place where we want to go doesn’t have strawberries for picking. I don’t know why?
Anyway I’m planning to do strawberry shortcake with my daughter!
3 pints fresh strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
21/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp white sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup milk
2 cups whipped heavy cream
1. Slice the strawberries and toss them with 1/2 cup of white sugar. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease and flour one 8 inch round cake pan.
3. In a med. bowl combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tbsp white sugar and salt. With a pastry blender cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk. Stir until just combined.
4. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool partially in pan or wire rack.
5. Slice partially cooled cake in half, making 2 layers. Place half of the strawberries on one layer and top with the other layer. Top with the remaining strawberries and cover with the whipped cream.